Hiya!
I found an interesting article about a Iraq war veteran whose life went downhill after he and his team accidentally killed a family in Iraq. After that he has had mental problems (seeing dead kids!), he became broke when the army apparently cut off his war pension and he even went to jail in some point. According to him the army failed to help him to get treatment for his mental problems. A lot of dark and heavy stuff. I thought the idea would be interesting since there isn't too many films concentrating fully on the problems war veterans face when they come back, plus it's a really contemporary theme with all the wars going on out there. Also a lot has happened to this war veteran, so it would be an interesting challenge for the director and the screenwriter to find a proper approach to the topic. A link to the article is below:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jul/05/iraq-war-veteran-case-study-military
Indeed, it would be a good contemporary idea to go with. Also, one of the only hollywood films I think of that you could affiliate with this idea would be "Born on the Fourth of July", which was made 20 or so years after the war. People never make such sincere pro-soldier-anti-war films until well after a war. Would be interesting to do one while the shit is still going down. (I don't think I've ever heard of a film about the Folklins War..."
ReplyDeleteI like this : " Every time I have a birthday, I can't celebrate it. I put the cards in a drawer. How can I celebrate a birthday when I …"
ReplyDeleteCould either concentrate on the whole PTSD and its symptoms or on a single small detail eg a birthday party. Anything could be done with this!
But I would be careful with any ideas that seem amazing and interesting straigth away because there is a risk of loosing the critical eye. But I know we're too cool for that =D hahaha